Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Bruising on hip, observed bleeding in inner wear. History of hemorrhoids. Cause of worry?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I have bruising on both sides of hip. About 1-2 inches. Around love handles. I've lost about 32 lbs since Feb 6th from weight watchers. I'm now 6'4 228 lbs. Also, today I noticed fresh blood in my boxers and back of my gym shorts. This happens from time to time, I had it checked out years ago. Maybe 5 years and the gastro said hemmeroids. I'm 33 old. Anything to worry about?
Also, I've been playing a lot of basketball and doing vigorous cardio on treadmill and elliptical. I noticed the bruising 2 days ago. But do remember feeling sore around the hips a few days back. There is also a small bruise near the left side of my ribs as well.
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
You have spontaneous bruises in your hips and rib cage without any history of injury to the area.
This can be due to a bleeding disorder. You need to consult your physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor