Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Bruising and redness all over arm, had tender elbow. What caused this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I had a very tender elbow yesterday. My arm hurt so much just touching my skin was tender. Today I have bruising and redness all up my arm. I haven't hurt myself so it is a mystery!
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your symptoms are suggestive of an internal bleeding or inflammation of blood vessels.
The exact cause of such bleeding cannot be determined without a thorough clinical examination of the part, however it most probably could be either due to musculoskeletal injury (eg rupture of tendon )or a blood vessel.Since the pain started in the elbow and then there appeared bruising its more likely an musculoskeletal injury rather than primary involvement of blood vessel.
I understand your disbelief as there was no trauma involved but the fact that your symptoms are progressively increasing and there is visible bruising and redness along with tenderness , makes it mandatory to be further investigated .Such injuries can even occur without trauma or fall .
Its advisable that you consult an orthopedic surgeon for evaluation and investigation . The doctor after examination and tests like X-ray, ultrasound can confirm the analgesic anti inflammatory drugs and physiotherapy , if there are no complications like damage to blood vessels or bony injury.
Meanwhile you can apply ice over the region for temporary relief . You can take antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen if the pain is unbearable till you consult your surgeon.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor