Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Bruising after having blood taken, pain down forearm. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I had blood taken about 3 weeks ago. It didn't get sore right away but about 2 weeks later it was. It brused a little and now my vein looks like a fishing line under my skin. It's tight and when I try and raise my arm over my head I can't. I get a sharp pain into my bicept. A pain also goes down my forearm. It feels like if I force it up the vein will snap. It appears that the vein has dried up and now looks more like a fishing line tendon. What should I do.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
You may have developed inflammation of the veins.Its called thrombophlebitis. You can apply ice pack on the inflammed area. Also Thrombophob ointment will help. It may take a few days for the inflammation to reduce. The pain may be present until it does. Keep applying the ice at regular intervals.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bruising after having blood taken, pain down forearm. What should I do? 5 minutes later
It's not realy inflamed, so should I just apply the ice where they took the blood from? Also can I buy the ointment over the counter?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 minutes later
Yes,just apply the ice over the vein and the area where they took the blood from. You should be able to get the ointment over the counter . It consists of heparin which will help resolve the clotted blood.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor