Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Bruised painful lump after a fall. Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hi I am a 46 year old female, 5'9 160 pounds, no remarkable health issues. I fell down a flight of stairs 2.5 weeks ago. I have a lump on my right check that is surround by bruising.. The lump is not bruised. It feels numb ( scar feeling) to the touch, however after 2.5 weeks of ice and heat the lump is not subsiding. Very painful to sit

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The formation of lump and bruise after trauma suggests internal bleeding and hematoma formation which can heal by fibrosis (scarring) and feels numb and hard.
Ideally it should resolve gradually in 4_6 weeks without any intervention if uncomplicated.But if it involves any blood vessel or nerves or other soft tissue or if infected ( complications) then it needs to be evaluated by a doctor to check for adequate healing.
Pain relief can be achieved temporarily by analgesics, antiinflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, or diclofenac with serratiopeptidase (which hastens healing), as per prescription of treating physician.
But if lump persists more than 4_6 weeks, please consult your doctor or a general surgeon for confirmation of diagnosis and further management.
Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor