Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Bruise on back of legs,bright blue bruise

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 662 Questions
I have unexplained bruising on the back of my leg below my knees. It first started on my left leg and now it it bright blue on my right leg.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for the query,

Well, there are many causes of bruising. Now let me discuss about this entity.
The most common causes being:
1. Iron deficiency anemia;
2. Hypothyroidism;
3. Thrombocytopenia (decreased number of platelets - small blood cells needed to clot blood);
4. Side effect of some medications like cortisone;
5. Von Willebrand's disease, which can be diagnosed only through special blood testing (approximately 1/100 are thought to have this).

If you are feeling concerned about the amount of bruising you're having, talk to your doctor and get tests done. First of all the doctor will try to evaluate the cause, by different blood tests. then the medications will be accordingly.

In general the treatment of bruise is as follows--

1-Hot and cold compressions and just rub it to get the circulation going in that area.

2-Drink little more water to increase electrolytes in your body.

3-Take Aspirin.

4-Apply the counter creams like Cortisone( steroid)

5- Take vitamin and mineral supplementation.

Try these for atleast 15 days.

Hope, it will help you. I wish you early recovery. If you have more queries, I am ready available to address them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor