Bruise and purple spots on arms and legs. On lamictal and medadate CD. Could this be due to these medications?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: XXXX
I have a bruise about the size of a golf ball (maybe a litte bigger). Had it about a week. I probably ran into something but don't remember running into anything that would cause a bruise this size. The bruise seems to get more purple as the time goes on instead of the green/yellow I'm used to as bruises heal. I also have small purple spots on my arms and legs. I wonder if is a drug interaction with the lamictal or medadate CD I take and if I should do anything
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
It can be side effect of both these drugs,especially medadate CD.It is not common side effect but it is more likely to be related to some of these drugs than to interaction of these drugs. I think you should switch medadate first or reduce dosage and see will it happen again. If unexplained bruise happen again you should do certain blood tests; protrombine time,tromnbocytes, clotting factors and other coagulation parameters just to rule out hematological disease. Bruise will subside for sure,it doesnt matter what color it is,but you should find the exact cause of bruise especially if you dont remember some hit. Drug side effect is the first thing to think of,bit as I said underlying cause can be some clotting disorder.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards