Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Bruise and numbness appeared on calf, feels warm to touch. Looking for cure

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My calf was struck with a heavy pieceof wood recently. It was severely bruised in coloration which has since faded away(about 3 days ago). But, there is an area below the calf that is hard and seems to be a bit warmer to the touch. It is also a little numb in the hardened area. I haven't been able to massage it as much as I would like nor have I really applied ice/heat to it.

Any suggestions to loosen the hardness or to alleviate the warmth from the area?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

From description it seems to be soft tissue injury over calf . Hard area below calf might be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood).

Apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor