Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Brownish semen. No pain. Causes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
I noticed my semen had some orange to brown looking chunks. But when I squeezed my penis to get the rest of my semen out, it came out in a very jelly like form with much more of this brown substance in it. I experienced no pain at all. I'm just concerned. What could this be?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.

The colour of semen and consistency can vary based on many factors such as age, diet and frequency of ejaculation.You have observed orange to brown looking semen which is in jelly form.

There can be many causes like prostate infection, male hormone deficiency or bleeding in the prostate.
This will need further evaluation and examination by a Physician.

You might need to undergo the tests like:
1) Semen examination and its culture to see the growth of organisms
2) Prostate palpation by a digital rectal examination.
3) A very remote possibility can be of some male hormonal deficiency, which too may be responsible of jelly like consistency.

In prostatitis there will be slight change in appearance and consistency of the semen. Antibiotics will be required for this. Do not worry , but a examination is necessary.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor