Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Brown spot on hip,red ring,itchy,pimple,stretch mark

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
ok yesterday i had a brown spot on my hipthat looked like a freckle, tonight it has a red ring around it and it is itchy, it just looks like a red ringed i go get it checkedout, also another spot much smaller appeared today a few inches above it, and right beside that appeared a XXXXXXX that looks like a short stubby stretch XXXXXXX but it really dont thinkitwas there yester day, and i dont know what to do????
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

From the site, description of rash and the way it is spreading, tinea corporis needs to be ruled out. It is a fungal infection of the skin that presents with itchy round lesions on the body and edge of the rash appears elevated. It is scaly to touch.

You need to get it checked from a Primary Physician / Dermatologist and get a physical examination. It may also need KOH examination of skin scrapings from the site. If it is a fungal infection like tinea corporis then you may need topical antifungals for this rash.

Most cases of ring worm respond to over-the-counter products, which contain any of several basic ingredients: miconazole, tolnaftate, terbinafine, ketaconazole and clotrimazole. Your doctor knows about it.

Till then wear cotton clothes and try to keep the area as dry as possible. Please send me a photo of the lesion at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at your photo and it will help me in understanding your condition better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Brown spot on hip,red ring,itchy,pimple,stretch mark 1 hour later
Its not a rash and it is not scaly. it is smothe...but rasied if that makes sense. I do not believe it is ringworm either, because i have seen ringworm before.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back and sending your photographs.

From the photographs, I agree that it does not look like a ringworm. Some possibilities which are coming to my mind and need evaluation from a dermatologist are:

1) It can be due to pseudofolliculitis or hot tub folliculitis which consists of follicular pustules, starts 1-2 days after exposure, and tends to be worse on the buttocks, hips and present as itchy small papules on buttocks.

2) The second possibility is of scabies bite which is a more likely diagnosis because of the short stretch XXXXXXX which can be due to burrows from the scabies bite. Diagnosis of scabies is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs.

3) Last possibility is of an arthropod bite or insect bite which is causing these symptoms.

Apply some calamine lotion and wear cotton clothes. For the itching you can take some oral antihistaminic after consulting your good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor