Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Brown itchy spots on the testicles. Not STD. What are the other reasons?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
I've always had small brown spots, maybe 1mm diameter on testicles. They seem to follow the veins. They seem to come and go. Some itching at times but this could just be dry skin which I generally have. Sometimes have scratched the itch but not overly. What are these - I have had them for a very long time? No STDs since only one 32 year marriage and never a problem.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.

You have provided me with good information.

You are having brown spots on the testis with slight itching .No history of sexually transmitted diseases. There are 2 causes for this:

1.     Angiofibroma- Small dome-shaped or jagged bumps around the crown of the head of the penis, scrotum are probably pearly penile spots.

2.     Angiokeratoma- (Fordyce spots) is a benign disease, and is due to a collection of very small veins, in which case a single lesion may bleed.

This is commonly seen in the elderly, characterized by spherical, reddish to black, elevated lesions rarely over 4 mm in diameter, which usually follow the course of the scrotal veins. They are benign formations composed of dilated ectatic capillaries in the superficial dermis. Their size may range from 1- to 5-mm, color from blue-to-red and may appear to be scaly.

Most of the time there is itchiness and pain. These small papules may appear on the scrotum, shaft of penis, inner thigh, and there may be just one papule or a few.

They may appear in cases where there is an increased venous pressure. These papules may start to bleed if they are scratched or injured during sex.

They are not XXXXXXX and may be removed for cosmetically reasons. Procedures like laser, electro-coagulation, excision, or cryotherapy may be used.

There is probability of it being Angiokeratoma. You could visit a dermatologist and have them checked too.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor