Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Broke an arm, twisted and fractured. Proximal part of the diaphysis snapped off . Try bone remodeling?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10396 Questions
When my son was six years old, he broke an elevated fall with his right arm. He twisted and fractured his arm. He was treated by a pediatric orthopedist who showed me the x-ray. Basically, he explained in non-medical jargon, you son broke the stick part of his arm from the ball part. He may have used other language at the time, but seeing that I did not understand what he was saying, he simplified it. The head of the humerus was still in the socket, but the proximal part of the diaphysis was snapped off of it. Two extreme and opposite sides of the bones were still touching each other. Dr. said it did not need surgery, that if we immobilized it, one overhanging side of bone would dissolve, and the opposite underhanging part of the bone would fill in. He was right!!! Every few weeks we showed up for an xray and watched this marvelous healing work. The problem is, now I am taking anatomy for nursing school. Today we were discussing bone remodeling and I told my class and professor about what happened to my son's arm. He didn't believe me!!! Is there a name for this type of fracture healing? I have spent the last hour trying to find an example of it on the internet and have been unsuccessful. A site that showed the healing xrays would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your orthopedist did an excellent job by immobilizing your son's arm. The type of healing that took place in your son's arm is called bone remodelling.
Your son most likely had a surgical neck fracture of humerus. You can see the pictures of remodelling of bone in any standard text book of Orthopedics like Appley's Orthopedics.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor