Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Breathlessness, have GERD, back pain, anxiety, hypochondria. Fear of heart attack of DVT. Want a second opinion.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
hello i want to ask a question. i suffre from very bad anxiety, hypochondria. my fear is dying from heart attack or dvt. i have had numerous tests, in 2011 i have had echo , ekg, blood work chest xray, it was fine my cholesterol in september was 204ldl 147 hdl49 try 68 sugar was 84 . i dont exersise , i dont smoke dont drink,my mom is healthy, my dad had catherization last year had one stent put in he is ok he is 56. last time i asked i wasnt too spesific. i was in er numerous times in the last year due to be out of breath . last time was in october i had ekg, chest x XXXXXXX blood work, it was all ok. also 2 years ago i had stress test i did only 75 percent i stopped the test because i thought i was goint to faint even though doctor told me everuthing looked fine they wanted my heart rate to be 138 i did 122. i laso had event monitor it was fine. i laso was dignosed with gerd in november of 2010. i constantly have this feeling my back hurts, i burp, i am out of breath . i dont know what else i can do. i even did autoimune tests 2 month ago it was all good. i wrote to u about my dad. my moms cardio testys were all good, she does have slightly elevated cholesterol. she takes meds for and blood pressure meds. mine was allwys good.i constantly live in fear i will die . i cant exrsises because i get out of breath i was told its deconditioning what can i do .also the is constant chest pressure burning. i allways have to prop my pillow. i dont know what other tests i should do. my fear is debilitating. also i lost my grandma and my step father even though my mom has not been livin with him for a long time prior to his death . i happened last year i have been seeing them in my dreams. and because of my panick and fear i thin ok thats a sighn i am next to die. i need your help please i asked this question before need a second opinion, dont know if i need more tests.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I have read your problem with concern. You are suffering from anxiety and shortness of breath is a classical sign of anxiety. Since all your blood tests and cardiac work up is within normal limits, there is no reason at your age to be worried about dying. The dreams are reflecting your state of mind and your fears.
GERD is commonly associated with stress and anxiety. Taking OTC antacids and proton pump inhibitors will help in reducing this problem.
For your anxiety and panic attacks, follow these treatment measures.
1) Controlling the anxiety levels. Try to identify and focus on activities that make you feel better. Motivate yourself to do things for yourself, talk to your family and friends and discuss your stress with them. They will help you find a solution to your problem. Controlling and removing anxiety is the primary treatment. Also join some meditation and yoga classes to calm your mind.
2) Regular exercise and proper diet are essential to good health. Exercise is of paramount importance because it releases endorphins from the body.
3) You need to take some antianxiety medications like short reuptake serotonin inhibitors (SSRI) and benzodiazepines like alprazolam and clonazepam.
4) Psychotherapy and cognitive behavior therapy is of equal importance as medications and you should hold these sessions with a good psychiatrist/ psychologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Breathlessness, have GERD, back pain, anxiety, hypochondria. Fear of heart attack of DVT. Want a second opinion. 21 minutes later
thanku my next question is i havent exersise in a couple of years how do i start? is my cholesterol too high, what vitamins besides vit d a woman my age should be taking and do u think i should be doing any more tests also i am deathyly afraid of dvt because i am home and i do sit alot . i did have doppler in may and i was ok. my late grandam had dvt my parents didnt. i dont smoke drink or do drugs
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You need to start exercising regularly to keep your body fit. You can start with mild exercise like brisk walking for 20 minutes six days a week. Your cholesterol levels are just borderline high. Dietary restrictions will help to bring them back to normal.
You need not take any vitamin supplements apart from Vitamin D if you are taking a healthy diet. Do concentrate on improving your diet rather than taking supplements.
For your problem right now no further tests are required. If at all you experience any new symptoms then they need evaluation accordingly.
Only sitting does not precipitate DVT. To take this fear out of your mind start doing mild exercise like walking.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor