Breathing difficulty while trying to swallow. What could be the reason?
Thanks for contacting Healthcare magic for your problem. I can understand the frigthening nature of the symptoms you have had.
You had two episodes of breathing difficulty which lasted for about a minuite and got better on its own. Both times it was precipitated by attempts to swallow. These episodes appear to be laryngeal spasms. It is possible that you aspirated the fluid or saliva at time of swallowing and in response the larynx went into spasm. Episodic swallow induced aspiration can occur due to some neurological problem in the nerves supplying the throat muscles or sometimes a problem in the throat muscles itself.
Sometimes even with GERD you can aspirate the refluxed material without actually having other typical symptoms of GERD like heartburn.
I will advise you to consult a neurologist who should exmine you for functioning of muscles and nerves of throat. An ENT exmination to look at any local anatomical defect.
Dr Dinesh Singal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chest pain while breathing and coughing difficulty in breathing
- What could cause difficulty in breathing and tiredness
- Having breathing problems while swallowing what could be wrong
- Breathing difficulties what could be the reason
- What can cause difficulty in breathing and smelly breath
- What causes swallowing and breathing difficulty while vomitting
- Difficulty in breathing headache what could be causing this
- What causes breathing and swallowing difficulty
- Difficulty in breathing while sitting walking or sleeping reasons
- Have difficulty in breathing while urinating what to do