Breathing difficulty at night. Blood test done. Looking for suggestion

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am having difficulty in breathing and in nights become severe. I am not able to sleep and wakeup every one and half to two hours. yesterday I got my blood sample checked and found that my eosinophilia counts come to be 13.3%. Is this count is releated to my breathing problem. Please suggest the diagonesis or suggets the docter whom I should consult. I am living at mira road near Mumbai. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 31 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The problem you are suffering from is rhinitis medicamentosa secondary to the prolonged use of nasivion nasal drops. Apart from that you are also suffering from Allergic rhinitis.

Rhinitis medicamentosa is a condition of the nose wherein prolonged use of decongestant nasal drops such as xylometazoline or oxymetazoline, causes rebound nasal congestion even in the absence of nasal congestion.

First of all, you will have to stop using nasivion nasal drops. You need to replace that with saline nasal spray and steroid nasal spray for the time being. Do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day and drink plenty of warm water.

In Mumbai, you can contact Dr. XXXXXXX Kirtane at Hinduja Hospital.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 22 minutes later
Hi
thanks for reply, but you have not answered anything for the high value of eosinophilia. Is it indicated some major concern. Can you please tell me name of any saline or steroid nasal spray which I can buy from market. Moreover i wanted to tell you that I am not using that nasivian nasal drop regularly.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The eosinophil count is marginally raised. This can happen in parasitic infections, allergy, etc. As mentioned in my previous response, you could be suffering from allergic rhinosinusitis.

If you have used Nasivion for more than 5 days in a week and more than once in a month, the nasal mucosa develops rebound congestion of the nose even in the absence of nasal congestion which is termed as rhinitis medicamentosa.

You can try using steroid nasal spray such as fluticasone or momentasone 2 puffs in each nostrils, early in the morning as soon as you get up from the bed. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of A/C, change the pillow cover every night before going to bed and cover the nose with a clean handkerchief when exposed to dust and smoke.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Surgeon