Breastfeeding premature baby and weight loss. Diet plan to increase weight?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 6mnths old and shez is preterm baby and shez not drinking milk properly and her weight is 4.9,could you please suggest how to increase weight of her and I have started cerlac rice too could you please tell what can I add to her diet.can I give her fruits
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 56 minutes later
Hi , thanks for writing to us.

New foods to start-1. multigrain mixture-ragi, rice, wheat, greegram,blackgram ect added with badam pista and cahwenuts. Soaked well overnight, dried well, roasted well and powdered well. This mixture can be stored. and when ever required , this can be mixed well with water and boiled. For flavour you can add jaggery or blackpepper.

2. You can give fruits, to start with boiled and smashed XXXXXXX raw papaya smashed fruit, smashed banana.

3. you can also try smashed cooker ice added with ghee and boiled and smashed vegetables.

Since she was born preterm you will have to start with calcium supplements in the form o suspensions, for the dose and the brands please consult with your peidtarician.

Baby not taking milk well should be examined by the doctor to find out the cause, its difficult to analyse without examining, thank you, hope i have cleared your query.regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan