Breast feeding a two year old. Feeling tired, frustrated and getting angry. What's wrong?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: hi, i'm healthy 44 yr old female, had wonderful baby boy almost 2 yrs ago- still breastfeeding him.
I am constantly feeling tired, sleep deprived and stressed. Angry at myself for being not happy and moody and not-balanced, cool mommy...and challenged being good parent. what is wrong w me?
i realized the dream of mine and my husbands, still sometimes even small challenge makes me very angry and frustrated at myself and him as well...
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I hope I have understood you well as you want a solution for:
1. Tiredness
2. Sleep deprivation
3. Frustration and anger at self

I suggest that you stop breast feeding your son now that he is 2 years old. Secondly, consult your doctor and get a routine clinical examination done along with the following basic investigations to rule out diabetes, hypertensio, etc.:
1. Haemogram
2. Urine routine
3. Blood sugar fasting and post prandial

You need to sit down calmly and taking a friend or a relative into confidence you need to introspect for the cause of anger and frustration. Once you are able to find a cause for it then various alternatives for handling the situation can be worked out and the confidante will guide you to handle it to the best of your ability.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK