Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Breast feeding. Suffering from tooth ache. Taking pain killer and antibiotic. Any effective medicine?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2059 Questions
Hi doctor, my name is XXXXXXX I am suffering from tooth ache in right side due to wisdom tooth. I have this problem from last 7 years on both the sides. There is no passage for wisdom tooth to pop out that is the reason it pains. Earlier pain used to occur twice or thrice in a year but from last month it has become more frequent. Please help. Earlier I used to take pain killer and antibiotic. But I have 5 months old baby who is completely on my feeding. Please suggest some medicine and also if I can go for surgery now since I have a small baby.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

As per your description,the pain is due to pericoronitis,ie,flap overlying impacted wisdom tooth.

Depending on the position and angulation of impacted tooth and the space available for tooth eruption,we can decide the treatment.

Please do visit an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and get clinical examination and x-ray of the tooth.If normal tooth eruption is possible,flap overlying tooth has to be incised and removed by the surgeon.This enhances tooth eruption.

The impacted tooth has to be extracted out,if normal eruption is impossible.

Since your baby is already 5 months,you can visit a good oral surgeon and get the treatment done.Getting treatment is better than just taking pain killer and antibiotics repeatedly,as it can worsen the condition of impacted tooth.SINCE you are breast-feeding,some antibiotics taken by you causes diarrhoea in your baby.

If you got your teeth extracted,you should take rest for a minimum of 7 days .

Always maintain good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask further quiery if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor