Brain bleed, lost taste, taken blood pressure medication. How can I get back my taste?
Thanks for writing in.
I have gone through your history in detail . You seem to be having a brainstem spontaneous bleed . The cause could be hypertension, but other less common causes of bleed should have been ruled out . viz . aneurysm/ arteriovenous malformations/ angioma /cavernous angioma etc.
It is extremely unlikely that the loss of taste is due to blood pressure medications . However, loss of taste can be secondary to brain haemorrhage itself . Usually, this would take long time to heal .& it may or may not heal depending on the extent of the damage to the fibres of the brainstem.
I would suggest the following:
1. Continue your medications as usual
2. Check whether a repeat MRI ( magnetic resonance imaging scan ) BRAIN/ MR ANGIOGRAPHY had been done
3. Continue with physiotherapy
Hope this helps. My best wishes for a speedy recovery
Dr Praveen K Nath XXXXXXX Consultant Neurosurgeon
Wish your friend a speedy recovery.
Repeat MRI brain is to see present status of brain stem bleed.
MRI can tell us about gliotic areas in brain so that we can differentiate between permanent/temporary damage for prognostic purposes.
MRI brain may also give idea about cause of bleed.
Symptoms may gradually improve with time, at times physiotherapy also helps.
I was talking about the physiotherapy for the imbalance and regaining power.
Loss of taste sensation should come back on its own but we cannot predict the time. As taste and smell sensations travel together, it is good to check if the olfactory nerves are well preserved. You can get it checked with an ENT specialist.
Hope my insight helps in taking the next best step.
Many thanks for your kind gesture. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention, “Dr. Praveen K Nath"
Hope your friend is on a fast path to recovery.
Dr Praveen k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to ween off blood pressure medication
- How to wean off blood pressure medication
- Taken my husbands blood pressure medication accidently
- How long does blood pressure medication take to stabilize blood pressure
- Blood pressure medication taken twice by accident
- Corex blood pressure medication
- Salty taste in mouth blood pressure medication
- Usages of blood pressure medication
- Blood pressure medication and back pain
- Blood pressure medication and bloating
- Blunt trauma stroke, blood clotting in curative artery, moving into...
- Photo sensitive, fuzzy vision, needles sensation, headaches. Type of...
- How is Labrynthitis treated ?
- Can pituitary tumor cause facial pain?
- Is lumbar drain procedure safe to maintain CSF flow developed post TBI ?
- Bilateral foraminal stenosis,pain in calf,low blood pressure.Surgery?
- How can be tight hamstrings,claw toes and spaticity in children be...
- CSF leaks after brain injury, Intracernal Pressures, Subdural burr...
- Spinal fusions, stenosis, grade 2 spondylolisthesis, degenerative discs,...
- Vertigo, imbalance, headache. physical therapy prescribed. MRI shows...