Brain bleed, depression, schizophrenia effective disorder. Suggestion?

Dr. Shiva Kumar R

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 26 May 2012 in Multiple Sclerosis
Question: i had a brain bleed in 97, since then to now i have had an extremely rough time mentally, depression, scizo effective disorder, my shrink told me my life changed because of the bruising in my brain from brain bleed in 97, is this true?
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 9 hours later

Brain bleed at the age of 36 years may be due to problems related to hypertension, Brain vasculitis or malformations of the blood vessels of the brain.

The symptoms of the brain bleed depends on the size and site of the bleed.

If the bleed occurs in the frontal lobe whose main funcion is control of behavior, mood,thought and memory. So if some one has brain damage due to bleed they can have problems like mental stress, depression, schizo-affective disorder, personality changes, seizures, urinary problems and so on.

So it is true to see such a kind of symptoms, if one has damage to the frontal lobes or its connections.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shiva Kumar R 37 hours later
one more question please, my bleed was at the base of the skull the neck area, can this be the cause of my mental health deteriating? thank-you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 24 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Bleed in the neck area does not cause any mental health problems directly.

If it has caused any compromise in the blood supply to the brain it can cause it. However there is potential to deteriorate the mental status as you age. It might not likely be in your case now.

Nothing can be said for sure if we do not know the cause of the bleed then. Is it a ruptured aneurysm? What was the treatment that was done then? Can you get me some reports?

I know you are dealing with multiple problems at this time. The operations of Hysterectomy and Gall bladder surgery are not related to this bleed.

Hope it helps.

Wish you a good health.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari