Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Born with hole in ear, pus-filled, swollen, painful. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
There is a hole by (what I believe to be the crus of helix) based on the diagrams online. I was born with a hole where people might normally get a piercing. In the past there has been puss upon squeezing the area. The puss is smelly like rotten fishy. The color ranges from liquid to pale yellow to mustard yellow. It has not hurt in the past but in the last few days, I have squeezed out a lot of puss and the area is noticeably swollen and I'm in slight discomfort. The area around it is swollen and hurts when I place medium pressure on the area. What is going on? I can provide a photo (of both my ears) if it's necessary.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and uploading the images.

It seems like you are probably having a congenital preauricular sinus. It does cause intermittent drainage of pus like material from it.

The present symptoms of pus, pain, swelling and discomfort suggest that it is secondarily infected.

What you require now is a swab culture of the draining material from the sinus to look for the causative organism. Depending on the growth and antibiotic susceptibility, you may be started on a course of complete antibiotic.

I would suggest you to consult an ENT specialist regarding this and discuss the treatment options.

Surgical removal of the sinus tract is the permanent treatment for preauricular sinus.

You can send me the picture, if you can. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize it.

I hope to have answered your query.

Get well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor