Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Born with Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Doctors confirmed that it went. Can it come back?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9349 Questions
Hello there, I was born with Congenital adrenal hyperplasia . It went when i was around two or three. My doctor has confirmed that i once had this. Unfortunately he has no more information for me. Anything i have looked up online says that there is no cure for this. So my query too you is, is it possible that it just 'went'. Can it come back? And is it possible that I can pass this onto my children when i decide to have them. I am now almost 27 years old.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Well, I think you misunderstood something because congenital adrenal hyperplasia is an inherited(genetic autosomal recessive) disorder of the adrenal glands.

There is disorder in enzymes production which affects sex steroids production and can alter development of sex characteristic. Depending on type of affected enzymes and level of hormones, symptoms can be more or less expressed, but there is no cure or spontaneous resolution and if necessary CAH can be managed only with hormonal treatment.

You can do genetic testing and rule out for sure do you have CAH. If you dont have any symptoms of CAH and you have normal menstrual cycles then you dont have to be concerned about the pregnancy.

If you have CAH then there is a 50% risk that children will have it BUT only if your partner is "faulty gene carrier" too. Also there is screening test which can detect this in infants or even during pregnancy and then it can be treated properly. So you can do genetic testing together with your partner when you decide to have baby.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Born with Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Doctors confirmed that it went. Can it come back? 56 minutes later
Thank you for clearing that up for me. My own GP doesnt know much about it and it was all a bit confusing too me. He had said both my parents were carriers, and that i did in fact inherit it.
Then he said its a miracle that i was cured of it and no longer needed medication.
So just to confirm, there is no miracle cure?
No symptoms of it just worry that a sickness i supposedly once had will once more return.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 9 hours later

Well, I do not agree with your GP. In inheritance disorders no one can just assume how will these genes be inherited. There are always chances and inheritance patterns and without testing we can't know are you carrier or not.

If your parents were both carriers (and no one was affected by CAH) then there is only 25% risk that you are affected by CAH. There is 50% chance that you are healthy carrier and 25% chances that you are not either carrier or affected.

If you have CAH, it can be manifested and diagnosed by symptoms. But there are types of CAH in which hormonal levels are adequate and don't cause any problems. This can be your case, but there is no miracle cure because you can't change your genetics.

So I think you don't have CAH; even if have it, you didn't have any menstrual or sexual problems during the puberty (when those hormones are most necessary) then you won't have problems any time in future.

Hope this information suffices.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor