Borderline diabetic with HBP. Feeling bloated with a blue spot on left side. Blood test normal. Concerned

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Today! I had some pain in my left side, especially when I felt that area. This evening
I pulled up my T shirt and there was a square colored black/blue area of about 3" X
2" on that spot. I have been eating allot of Natural fruit drinks that contain many
berries. My stool is XXXXXXX and has been that color for a few days when I first
started drinking the juices, which are all natural. I'm 68, borderline Diabetic,
high blood pressure, which are both weight induced. Also, I have been
getting allot of gas, but that could be from the beans I am also eating. I am
bloated, but have had these pains from the same area for some time.

In the mean time, I went to the ER and they ran blood tests,
EKG and CT Scan with XXXXXXX The CT Scan and all other tests
came back normal. The ER doctor said that I must have bumped
the area to get the bruise, but I did not. I could also feel a
vein in the center of that blue area that I described right over
my spleen and where I had been having some minor pain for the
few several weeks.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 7 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
It seems like the spot you are describing is an ecchymosis. This occurs usually at the site of blunt trauma or can even occur in absence of trauma when you have an underlying bleeding disorder like low platelet count, liver disease, drugs like aspirin or congenital disorders which prevent blood from clotting. It seems unlikely that the spleen is involved.
If your platelet count, liver function tests and pro-thrombin time are normal then it is unlikely that you have any of above (liver disease or congenital) problems. Let me know if the physician in the ER ran all these tests for you. also, a complete list of the medications you're currently receiving would be very helpful.
In this situation a blunt trauma which may even be trivial or unnoticed as the skin becomes lax and underlying vessels lose their support with an increase in the age. So if all your reports including CT scan is normal need not worry. This spot will fade away with time (may be few weeks)
You can take a safe analgesic like paracetamol for the pain.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 27 hours later
Dear Dr Deshmukh, Thank you for your evaluation. I ended up going to the ER and
once there they performed the following tests: UA with Micro Reflex to Culture, CT Abdomen Pelvis w/iv contrast, Basic Metabolic Panel, CBC with Automated Differential, Lipase, Hepatic Function Panel, Protine with INR, APTT, EKG 12 lead, Saline lock. They did notice that I had Diverticulosis.

What is confusing is that for about two months I have had pain in the same area as
the discolored area. I did have a doctor at a 24 hour med center check the area out
with a physical exam where he pressed all over it with no pain whatsoever at the
time. I too think that it is the spleen, but should not the CT Scan with contrast
have found anything regarding that? Thanks so much! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
It very unlikely that this is related to spleen.
One of the possibilities of pain associated is an underlying blunt injury to the rib which is too minor to be picked on CT Scan but is causing the bruise and pain.
Any ways if all the other tests are normal I think you should just give it some time.
Wish you a speedy recovery...