Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

145 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Borderline diabetic with HBP. Feeling bloated with a blue spot on left side. Blood test normal. Concerned

Answered by
Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 492 Questions

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Today! I had some pain in my left side, especially when I felt that area. This evening
I pulled up my T shirt and there was a square colored black/blue area of about 3" X
2" on that spot. I have been eating allot of Natural fruit drinks that contain many
berries. My stool is XXXXXXX and has been that color for a few days when I first
started drinking the juices, which are all natural. I'm 68, borderline Diabetic,
high blood pressure, which are both weight induced. Also, I have been
getting allot of gas, but that could be from the beans I am also eating. I am
bloated, but have had these pains from the same area for some time.

In the mean time, I went to the ER and they ran blood tests,
EKG and CT Scan with XXXXXXX The CT Scan and all other tests
came back normal. The ER doctor said that I must have bumped
the area to get the bruise, but I did not. I could also feel a
vein in the center of that blue area that I described right over
my spleen and where I had been having some minor pain for the
few several weeks.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 7 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
It seems like the spot you are describing is an ecchymosis. This occurs usually at the site of blunt trauma or can even occur in absence of trauma when you have an underlying bleeding disorder like low platelet count, liver disease, drugs like aspirin or congenital disorders which prevent blood from clotting. It seems unlikely that the spleen is involved.
If your platelet count, liver function tests and pro-thrombin time are normal then it is unlikely that you have any of above (liver disease or congenital) problems. Let me know if the physician in the ER ran all these tests for you. also, a complete list of the medications you're currently receiving would be very helpful.
In this situation a blunt trauma which may even be trivial or unnoticed as the skin becomes lax and underlying vessels lose their support with an increase in the age. So if all your reports including CT scan is normal need not worry. This spot will fade away with time (may be few weeks)
You can take a safe analgesic like paracetamol for the pain.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 27 hours later
Dear Dr Deshmukh, Thank you for your evaluation. I ended up going to the ER and
once there they performed the following tests: UA with Micro Reflex to Culture, CT Abdomen Pelvis w/iv contrast, Basic Metabolic Panel, CBC with Automated Differential, Lipase, Hepatic Function Panel, Protine with INR, APTT, EKG 12 lead, Saline lock. They did notice that I had Diverticulosis.

What is confusing is that for about two months I have had pain in the same area as
the discolored area. I did have a doctor at a 24 hour med center check the area out
with a physical exam where he pressed all over it with no pain whatsoever at the
time. I too think that it is the spleen, but should not the CT Scan with contrast
have found anything regarding that? Thanks so much! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
It very unlikely that this is related to spleen.
One of the possibilities of pain associated is an underlying blunt injury to the rib which is too minor to be picked on CT Scan but is causing the bruise and pain.
Any ways if all the other tests are normal I think you should just give it some time.
Wish you a speedy recovery...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Spleen

doctor1 MD

My 12 year old daughter (5 foot 2 inches - 125 lbs - funtional heart murmur) woke up with a high fever October 23. Doctor said next day it was a virus. Laster in week sore throat doctor prescribed zithermax, and enlarged spleen. Bloodwork came back negative for mono. Spleen is still enlarged. yesterday morning she had an xray and ultrasound. We were told if problem we would get call yesterday afternoon. Would it be ok to give her milk thistle to reduce spleen. My daughter is very active and is restricted from sports. She really wants to get back in the pool and soccer field. How long does it take for spleen to shrink?

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, i have a pain in my right side of my abdomen, exactly on the place where liver is located. it started when i was in hospital treating for malaria, pneumonia and typhoid fever. the examination result for these diseases in different hospitals was different. but i took all the prescribed drugs. When I check i check my liver except there was enlargement of liver and spleen, they called Hepatosplenomegaly they told me that the size and function of the liver is fine. but still the pain after a year and half is continuing. sometimes it is low and other time very strong which i feel it very well when i asleep by that side. plus i have disc prostitution case which is not treated. So, my question is do you think that the problem is liver case or associated with the disc problem?

doctor1 MD

i have a teratoma in my spleen(17 cm) i found out about that umm 11 months ago. however it has been asymptomatic until now. i will get a sharp pain in my lower L-side near my ribs and then it will feel like it is spazing for about a min. also i have had headaches off and on for years. now my head has been hurting for four days and i feel my face getting flushed. it hurts where my skull connects to my spine. no (otc) meds really help. the headache radiates to my temples or the top of my head. i am a student at the moment and do not have insurance and can not afford to go to the dr. so what can i do? could the headache be connected to the spleenomegally due to a teratoma?

doctor1 MD

Not sure if it is my spleen, but I have pain in my lower back, side, and oblique, all under my left rib cage. Only hurts when I cough or sneeze, otherwise it just feels like a sore muscle, usually when laying on couch. Feel nothing when standing or walking.

doctor1 MD

I’ve had a month of upper left rib pain , right near the left breast area. Had ultra sound chest X-ray, both normal, but spleen a bit enlarged 13.2. GP thinks muscular skeletal. I still have pain, not as intense as before. He doesn’t think ct is...

doctor1 MD

Beginning yesterday I've been having these spasms in my lower left back and it's off and on?is it just muscles or something I need to worry about?

doctor1 MD

I have a handicapped 47 year old male who has been on seizure medications for 33 years. He was in a car accident when he was 9. They removed his spleen . He feels the need to urinate 10 to 12 times in a 24 hour period. About 3/4 of the time...