Borderline diabetic and experiencing leg cramps. Is it a warning sign?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Question: After blood work my doctor advised me my blood sugar was borderline diabetic. I've been experiencing severe leg cramps at night at night enough to wake me from deep sleep. Sometimes it's my right calve or my left, other times its my thighs I wake up in the morning sore as I've been working out. I also will during the day have painful cramps in my hands like they become claws especially when tying knots or using a pen. Could this be a warning sign that I am diabetic.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not likely Detailed Answer: Muscle cramping is not a direct sign of imminent diabetes. Your borderline diabetes is probably a reference to 'pre diabetes' ie a risk factor for developing diabetes. Diabetes, especially when long standing and poorly controlled, can cause problems with nerves called neuropathy. This can manifest in the form of the complaints you are reporting. But you clearly do not have diabetes according to your doctor. However, I see you are on Vytorin. It has simvastatin in it, beside another medication. Simvastatin can cause muscle aches. Discuss the possibility of this with your doctor.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 47 hours later
Thank you Doctor, are muscle cramps ( XXXXXXX horses) so intense that my calve and thigh muscles are sore for days be caused by Vytorin Also how about the cramping of fingers where I can not use my hands until It subsides fall into same category?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibly so Detailed Answer: Finger cramping is unusual to occur with the muscle issue associated with statins but every individual may not have classic presentation so it is best to consult your prescribing physician to ascertain the same