Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Bone spurs, stiffness, pain. What can I do to slow the progression of this serious problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10351 Questions
I am 48 years old and (through x rays I discovered) the disks in my neck and lower back are very warn, causing "bone spurs", reducing hight, flexibility and causing constant stiffness pain. I was very active in younger years, am not over weight, and are (moderately) physically fit. What can I do to slow the progression of this serious problem?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The changes in your spine and development of bony spurs are mainly age related degenerative changes of the spine.
While there is no definite medication or treatment to decrease the progression of these changes, in addition to the medications for symptomatic treatment, you will have to change your lifestyle for excellent results. Vitamin D deficiency can aggravate the condition. Basic balanced nutrition and exercises are must for a trouble free life. Posture modifications can be adopted by speaking to experts which can help to continue your day to day activities.
Regular physiotherapy is advised for slowing the progression of disease.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor