Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Boils under arms and private area. How to get rid of them?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6182 Questions
I often get boils under my arms and private area. I have 3 huge nots on my private. How can I stop getting these? I know they are not STD's because they always go away, but come back. I have been showering with antibacterial soap.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Step up personal hygiene to best possible levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these repeated boils. I understand how frustrating these can be. I hope we would be able to find out what the predisposing factors are and what the best possible means to address this would be. What exactly are you referring to as nots??

From the information you have provided, we need to identify any possible factors that favour an infection. This include sweating a lot, wearing the same under wears for long, shaving too low, etc. These are the very first things that you need to address. If it requires that you take a bath even twice and change the under wears morning and evening, it is worth giving it a try. Always shave with reservations...Never allow the shaving machine to come into close contact with the body

During times with boils, you can try some pain medications to control symptoms. If it becomes extensive, please try and get consulted for evaluation and probable antibiotics. I very much believe it is not linked to any possible STDs.

In all, step up hygiene, avoid possible skin irritants and manage each out break as it comes. With the above measures, for sure you would notice a decrease in the number of episodes. The antiseptic soap is good but thorough and frequent washings is enough.

Hope this helps and provide guidance. Thank you for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Boils under arms and private area. How to get rid of them? 43 minutes later
I dont use razors, i use hair remover cream because it does not irritate my skin. Im referring to boils that swell up and eventually burst and drain pulse and blood. The boils go down, but they never go completely away. I shower daily and always change my panty once a day. I just started using antibacterial soap. Could i have a staph infection? Or is this from hair removal creams? When i used razors i got boils as well. Which is why i stopped.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up.

If the boils never go away completely, then you would need to get the evaluated and completely treated. Because they have been very stubborn and going on for long, I would suggest that you consider doing a culture of the pus so as to identify the exact germ and what antibiotic can act on it.

Appears you have been doing a lot already as concerns taking precautions. Keep up!
Staph is the number one cause of abscesses. Some are sensitive too common antibiotics while others may not be. This is why doing a culture would be helpful and more so because it never drains completely.

I don't know if hair removal creams are safe. What i would suggest is to try and use a scissor that can trim the hair short without necessarily touching the skin to see if there is any difference..

I hope this helps. Please, feel free to ask for more clarifications if needed.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Boils under arms and private area. How to get rid of them? 8 minutes later
Is going to a clinic (Urgent Care) ok or do i need to see a MD such as yourself?n
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regular MD, not urgent care!

Detailed Answer:
I suggest that you get consulted and followed up by your regular physician, probably an MD. There is no urgency here to warrant an urgent care visit.

Hope this answers your query.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor