Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Boil on anus, blood and pus. Potential exposure to herpes. What is the reason for boil?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14833 Questions
I just got informed from a girl i was seeing she's been diagnosed with Herpes. I have an STD appointment tomorrow, and feel fine, expect i did/do have a boil on my anus, one only, no particular pain or discomfort although it burst yesterday, mainly blood and pus and over fast. Obviously i'm feeling paranoid and wanting to find another possible reason.
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later

Genital herpes can be transmitted via oral, vaginal or anal intercourse.
It would normally present initially with discomfort or abnormal sensation in the area and in some persons redness, this is followed by blisters which eventually break to form superficial ulcers. The blisters and the ulcers are painful.In men they tend to occur around and on the penis though they can occur in other areas.
It is not usually associated with the presence of pus.

The lesion on your anus which you referred to as a boil, may have been just that. Folliculits or infection of the hair follicles can occur in any part of the body where there is hair and can occur in the anal region. In some cases the infection can spread and involve more than one follicle and surrounding skin. An abscess- collection of pus may form.
The lesion sounds like it way an abscess which may have resulted from the folliculitis .
Perianal abscesses can also occur as a result of blockage of the glands in the anal region. The secretions that are stuck inside the glands can then become infected.

As stated earlier genital herpes does not usually present with pustular discharge.

When you go to the clinic , you should have someone look at the area because if it is an abscess the definative treatment is incision and drainage, even though it burst there may still be pus present

I hope this helps, wishing you luck tomorrow, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor