Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Body pain, insufficient vitamin D and B12, possibility of fibromyalgia. Worried about root cause of pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
I am having pain in my whole body since 1 and 1/2 years. No orthopedic is able to diagnose the cause of the pain as all reports are normal. Earlier doctors diagnosed for Vitamin D & B12 insufficienty for this. But after having injections for both i am still suffering from the pain. Now i am cosultin pain specialist and she feels the possibility of Fibromyalgia. I am very much worried as i am not getting the root cause of so much of pain in my body
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I understand your predicament.
Given your symptoms, I would agree with the pain specialist that it could be fibromyalgia. In addition, I would like to consider the possibility of chronic fatigue syndrome and a post traumatic stress disorder.
Fibromyalgia is a condition which causes persistent widespread pain, stiffness, fatigue, disturbed and unrefreshing sleep, and problems in performing day to day activities. The root cause is a problem in the pain perception pathways in the brain. They become hyperexcitable and make us feel pain even though there is no appropriate stimulus.

In order for me to help you further, please answer the following questions:
a. Are you able to sleep well?
b. Did you suffer any emotional or mental trauma 1.5 -2 years ago?
c. Are you able to do your day to day activities?
d. Is the pain constant in severity or is does it increase and decrease? If the severity is not constant, when does it get increased?
e. Do you feel fresh after sleeping?
f. Are you able to concentrate at work?

Awaiting your reply
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Body pain, insufficient vitamin D and B12, possibility of fibromyalgia. Worried about root cause of pain 6 minutes later
a. No
b. Yes
c. No
d. Not constant. It increases when i have late sittings in office and while cooking at home. Also when i have to keep standing or sitting for long time
e. After good sleep i feel fresh but that is very rare of getting good sleep
f. No
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

Given your history, I would narrow it down to fibromyalgia or a good part is that both conditions are treatable and in due course of time, you should get considerable relief from your symptoms.
I would also suggest the following:
a. Exercise daily for 50 minutes- 1 hour. This needs to be aerobic exercise in the form of walking, jogging, skipping or swimming or whatever you like doing.
b. Avoid working long hours.
c. Minimize stress by XXXXXXX breathing, Pranayama and yoga.
d. Fix a time for sleeping; dont use your bed for reading or watching TV; drink chamomile tea before going to bed and avoid exercise or caffeine in the evening.

Please see a pain specialist and a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation. Once we clinch the cause, the correct treatment can be started. It is possible that psychotherapy would greatly alleviate your symptoms.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor