Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Body pain, fever, pimples, prescribed Valacyclovir. Done blood and pus test. Want to know if this is chicken pox

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
Hi Doctor,
Right now I am in norway
I am probably suffering from chicken pox since last Saturday/Sunday. Initially I had fever with body ache on last friday and Saturday. On Sunday one or two pimples appeared. I was not sure about what it was. On monday I went to local doctor here. He said chiken pox doesnt usually happen to adults. Hence he took blood samples and pus sample. He also prescribed anti virus medicine - Valaciclovir Sandoz. I am asked to have 3 tablets daily for a week. But I would like to have a second opinion about my condition.
I have attached two pictures of myself, rashes1 and rashes2.
Since chicken pox might be uncommon in Norway, I would like advice from Indian doctors.

Kindly help!!!
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

After having a look at the images you sent me, I do consider them probably to be Chicken pox.It is not completely true that adults are not affected by chicken pox.It rarely but does affect adults specially those people who never had such an encounter in childhood.Also sometimes can affect for the second time too.

The medications you are on are specific and will partly halt the progress of the infection and reduce the infectivity.Although you are on medication since it is a highly contagious disease ,I would recommend you not to move yourself into crowded places and take care not to spread.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Body pain, fever, pimples, prescribed Valacyclovir. Done blood and pus test. Want to know if this is chicken pox 14 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your response!

Please advise me on the diet that I should take. Presently, I am staying alone and I am planning to invite my wife to Norway in a couple of days. Is there any precautionary measure that she should take before she joins me here?

Also, I have read on internet that the boils leave some scars which take time to heal. Do you advise any ointment to be applied post its cure?

I also feel very uncomfortable as the skin gets itchy. Is there a way to reduce the itch? I have been told by elders in India not to take bath for initial few days.

Please guide me on above points.

Thanks in anticipation,

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You can consume any kinds of food but better to avoid spicy food as you are on medications.Do consume lots of fruits and vegetables.

I would recommend you not to share any articles like towel plates etc with your wife and that will suffice.

Apply CALADRYL lotion twice daily over the affected area it will minimise the itching and also prevent scars .

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor