Blurred vision, headache and numbness on face. Could it be migraine?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Blurred vision, purple spots and headache.

Occurred shortly after seeing a film (unknown if in 3D or not) and onset was while driving.

Migraine? Or something more serious?
Additional detail:

Facial numbness and "graininess" or "bumpiness" under eyelids on the right side of the face only.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for the query
3D can cause eye strain,blurred vision and headache according to a study published in journal of vision.
It has been seen that people who suffer from strabismus ( non alignment of eyes on focussing ) or amblyopia ( one eye looses the ability to see the details ) have problem in fusing 3D images.
You must consult a ophthalmologist and get yourself examined because,if it is amblyopia,then a delay can result in not only loosing 3D viewing but may also cause lifelong vision impairment and disability.
Symptoms like slight numbness should go once your headache and eye strain goes away.
However if these symptoms of numbness are present even before this episode,then it due to separate cause and has to be dealt separately.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 minutes later
I am not the sufferer, it is my girlfriend, who is in no state to ask questions online right now.

She has not suffered from numbness before now. The movie was apparently not in 3D but I did not know that at the time I originally asked this questions.

Do these details change anything? Does the color of the spots elucidate any particular diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 27 minutes later
Although these symptoms typically occur after seeing a 3D movie,but the fact is that these symptoms have been brought about by viewing a movie.
I would still want her to get an examination by an ophthalmologist,however if the eye examination turns out to be normal,I would think migraine as the cause for these symptoms.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 minutes later
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks