• question-icon

Bluish colour in eyeball. Bottom of the eyeball is rectangular in shape. No eye sight problem. Problem with eye?

Posted on Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My Eyeballs Color is Quite Bluish in Color and added to that eye balls shape is not Circle in nature,i.e at the Bottom of the Eyeball it is quite rectangle in shape,but i m able see correctly,i have no eye sight problem.

Am I having any Problem with my Eye??
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can get checked with optometrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

There does not seem to be any problem with your eye. Eyes usually come in many shapes and sizes. You may check if someone else in your family has similar shape, then it may be genetic.

By eyeballs, I guess that you mean the white portion of the eye appears to be bluish. It is usually seen in conditions that cause thin sclera. It is associated with some some genetic conditions like Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Ehler's Danlos Syndrome. Both are rare conditions and have associated other symptoms like brittle bones in osteogenesis imperfecta.

Ehlers Danlos syndrome has imperfect collagen formation. Collagen is needed to keep the integrity of skin and other tissues. Its deficiency can cause hyperextensible skin, hypermobile joints, large vessel fragility etc. Hyperextensible
skin can cause rectangular shape of eyes.

It is better to get the eyes examined by an optometrist and ophthalmologist to rule other associated conditions of the eyes. I think that it is also better to see a doctor to get a physical examination and tests done.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 10 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Yes Doctor It is Genetic as My Grand Mother Had Same Kind of Eyes, and Bluish Color is the Black Ball within the Eye and not the white Portion

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems a harmless variation

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

It seems like a harmless variation of eye colour and shape. It does not seem to be associated with any other symptoms or syndrome and seems to be genetically inherited.

You may want to find out if she had any specific symptoms or disorders that were related to eyes.

Otherwise, I do not think that there is much to worry about.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 12 hours later
Thanks Doctor :)
Brief Answer:
Thanks for consulting

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting me.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj