Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Blood work done. Have osteoarthritis in all joints. What cure should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 101 Questions
My WBC count is 6.1; Monocytes 18 (High); and Monocyte (Absolute) 1.1 (High). Everything else is fairly normal except for slightly elevated cholesterol total and LDL totals. I am a 67 year old female with no recent illness, but I have osteoarthritis pretty much all through my joints.

Thank you for your help.


Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Monocytes are one of the major white cells that protect the body from infection and an abnormal increase in monocytes is called monocytosis. High monocytes alone can't tell you the nature of your problem or disease and we should use the high monocyte count as only a small part of determining the cause of your illness, and the history and physical exam will be critical in finding out what's wrong with you.

The most common cause is laboratory error.

There are a number of other causes for elevated monocytes and some of them may be frightening: chronic inflammatory disease, viral disease (mononucleosis), protozoal infection (malaria) or bacterial disease (tuberculosis).

If you are well and without symptoms, then it is most likely an error in the interpretation of what is a monocyte and because you said "with no recent illness", I suppose this is the case here. Maybe just for your peace of mind, you can repeat the blood test.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor