Blood test shows AST at 39 and ALT at 62. What does it mean?

Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: my blood profile shows my ast at 39 and alt at 62....good or bad?
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: LIVER DISEASE. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. A S T ( also known as S G O T) i.e. aspartate aminotransferase (normal 0-39 U/L).In your case it is within normal limit. A L T (known as S G P T ) i.e.alanine aminotransferase (normal 0-39 U/L) .In your case it is 62 U/L .This is elevated level. Alt is primarily found in the liver. These enzymes are released into the blood in greater amounts when there is damage to the liver cell membrane result in increased permeability. In most acute hepatocellular disorders the ALT is higher or equal to AST. In your case 62 U/L (ALT) is nonspecific , so need not to worry .Regular examination is necessary for 3 months for ALT .Avoid alcohol or any drugs if taking. Hope I have answered your question.If further any question I will help. Good luck. Dr. HET
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T