Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Blood test showing RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin are lower. Having hypothyroidism. Could you recommend a haematologist?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I need advice on whether I should personally follow through with finding a hematologist. My blood tests have been "off" for many years. Various problems. Current interest in why my RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin are lower than the lowest range number for each catdegory. Number used to be very low, after six mos therapeutic 65 mg ferrous sulfate, the number went up to one or two points .w months with hypothyroidism again (thyroid cancer, 1980, both lobes removed). I think my docs lower the levothyroxime and it was a long while for me to go to hypothyroid which may affect blood tests in many ways. My primary doc is cautious and won't be taking another blood test till September. Should I wait till Sept or think about asking her to recommend a hematologist????
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I believe you should wait till September.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Personally I think there is no emergency and besides you are already on therapy both for your hypothyroidism and anemia. It is best to wait till your primary doctor runs the blood tests as programmed for September. I want to believe that your doctor after evaluating you in the last visit, had good reasons to program you for September which is just a month from now. I believe that after seeing you in September your primary care doctor might recommend you to a hematologist or an endocrinologist.
As of now, you should just keep calm and go about your daily activities, meanwhile at the same time, you should keep an eye on any new developing symptoms or if presently having any symptoms and they aggravate, then it will be a good reason to go see your doctor sooner.

Hope this is helpful and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor