Blood test showed normal T3 and T4 level with high TSH level. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: In a recent blood i have a High TSH (7.5) inspite of normal T3 and T4. should I be concerned ?
Following are the readings:

T3: 99ng/dl
T4 : 7.2 micro g/dl

My SGOT is 49.1 U/I and SGPTis 72.3U/I are also high
Total Cholestrol is high 217 mg%

Rest of the reading are good. I am also attaching the complete report.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, we clinically take TSH value of 5.5 as a cut off value. So, your TSH level is mildly higher than normal.

To understand this explanation, you have to know, some basic physiology. I am just giving you the idea.

Normally, TSH is released from pituitary gland to enhance the thyroid hormone secretion. It works in a feedback mechanism. When your body has low thyroid hormones pituitary secretes increased amount of TSH to maintain the normal level of thyroid hormone in our body. For that reason, T3 and T4 is maintained in normal level, but the TSH is increased.

In your case, it is very early stage of hypothyroidism. So, TSH is mildly increased to maintain normal T3 and T4 level.

Lastly, you should be concerned. You should consult with your treating doctor for prescribing low dose thyroxine supplement depending upon the clinical findings. It will prevent from development of severe hypothyroidism.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 3 minutes later
Thanks for yourkind answer? Can this early stage not be reversed by some suppliments / Excercise? Is it related to the high SGOT and SGPT readings which I saw in my Liver function test (in the report I uploaded)?
I did an abdominal scan in which the impression was mild hepatomegally and rest were normal.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 10 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, no exercise or supplement can reverse the hypothyroidism.

Regarding your SGOT and SGPT they are mildly elevated. For this, you have to avoid fast foods, oily foods, alcohol. Do an ultrasound scan to rule out any abnormality. You should consult with your treating doctor for prescribing a liver protecting drug.

Regarding the mildly elevated total cholesterol you should consult with your treating doctor for prescribing an atorvastatin group of drug.

You can do exercise to reduce the cholesterol level.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 4 minutes later
Thanks al lot for your kind answer.
I will check with my GP for the medication. Could also talk about Free T3 and Free T4 test. Will such tests be of any diagnostic value now?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 5 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Yo can consult with your GP about the free T3 and T4 test. But that will not give any diagnostic clue. But you can do the test, if your Physician orders it depending upon clinical findings.

Regards.