Blood test showed high tgf-b1. Am I at the risk of Lyme's disease?

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I HAVE A HIGH TGF-B1 ON MY BLOOD TEST @0000 MY DOCTOR SAYS IT IS LYME BUT I LIVE ON WEST COAST AND THERE IS NO LYME HERE WHAT COULD BE?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 10 hours later

I assume, by TGF-B1 you mean Transforming Growth Factor- Beta 1. Let me know if otherwise.

As such, there is no co-relation between TGF-B1 and Lyme's disease. But yes, your value of TGF-B1 is high at 0000. It needs to be further evaluated. High TGF-B1 is seen in neurological conditions like the neuropathy in you. It is also seen in auto-immune diseases and systemic conditions.

Please check for any active auto-immune process in you in view of neuropathy and the joint pain.

Testosterone does not cause high TGF-B1.

Hope this helps you. Do write back for further discussion on this.

Follow up: Dr. Shanthi.E 16 hours later
what kind of doctor do I see for high tgf-b1 ? I have neuropathy
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 19 hours later

Sorry for the delay in my response.

You would benefit by consulting a Rheumatologist or an immunologist. alternatively, you could consult a neurologist for the neuropthy.

Hope this helps.