Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Blood test showed high cholesterol. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
I did a full blood test for my 9 years child & it shows a hight readings in his LDL cholesterol .
I also suffer from hight cholesterol .
I am so sad for his readings & need to know what i have to do . Specially that all the doctors here in Egypt doesn't have the experience to deal with hight cholesterol with the kids as it is very rare .
Pls find attached the copy of the lipids analyses .
Thanks regards
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes medical ( drug) management is controversial

Detailed Answer:

Yes. Your son has both high total cholesterol and high LDL and low HDL

There are still lot of controversies in management of this .

Some believe in starting statins in kids above 8 years of age and some do not believe in drugs because the long term side effects of statins in children are not known.

The first thing you can do is completely cut off all fat in his diet ESP all saturated fat.

Use. Fat free milk yoghurt, and dairy products.

Avoid red meat and even normal meat.

Fish is ok.

Cut all cooking oils and use olive oil in salads et

Give him flax seeds ,powdered and added to his food.

He needs at least 1 hour of active exercise daily .

No junk food .

No burgers.

No fried food

After 3 months of vigorous diet control and exercise, check his lipid profile again.

God bless

Good luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor