Blood test showed high SGPT level and gamma glutamyl transferase. Any suggestion?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE PHOTOMETRY 99.2 U/l M:53 to 128 - F:42 to 98
BILIRUBIN - TOTAL PHOTOMETRY 0.64 mg/dl 0 - 1.2
BILIRUBIN -DIRECT PHOTOMETRY 0.2 mg/dl 0 - 0.3
BILIRUBIN (INDIRECT) CALCULATED 0.44 mg/dl 0 - 0.9
ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE (SGOT ) PHOTOMETRY 34.3 U/l M: 0 to 37 - F: 0 to 31
ALANINE TRANSAMINASE (SGPT) PHOTOMETRY 76.4 U/l M: 0 to 37 - F: 0 to 31
GAMMA GLUTAMYL TRANSFERASE (GGT) PHOTOMETRY 86.3 U/l M: 0 to 50 - F :0 to 30
ALBUMIN - SERUM PHOTOMETRY 4.7 gm/dl 3.2 - 5.0
PROTEIN - TOTAL PHOTOMETRY 7.34 gm/dl 6.0 - 8.3
SERUM ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO CALCULATED 1.78 Ratio 0.9 - 2.0

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 46 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, your blood report shows
-     Normal alkaline phospahatase.
-     Bilirubin – normal.
-     SGOT – normal.
-     Albumin - normal
-     Globulin – normal.
-     Albumin : globulin ratio – within normal limit.
-     High levels of SGPT and Gamma glutamyl transferase.
-     
High levels of serum SGPT and GGT both seen in obstructive conditions and acute alcoholic hepatitis.

So, you have to do the following
1.     Take rest.
2.     Take good, nutritious diet with mild oil and fat.
3.     If you are alcoholic then stop it immediately.
4.     Avoid taking fast foods.
5.     Take some fresh fruits.
6.     You have to take a liver protective drug of ursodeoxycholic acid group .
7.     You have to undergo ultrasound scan of whole abdomen.
8.     Consult with a gastroenterologist for a thorough clinical examination, ordering appropriate investigation and for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 4 minutes later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX

Have uploaded entire report now kindly review and suggest
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 39 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

After a thorough checking, the following abnormalities are seen to be present except those mentioned already -
1. Cholesterol total is increased.
2. LDL cholesterol is increased.
3. Triglyceride is highly increased.
4. TC / HDL cholesterol is increased.
5. TSH is very much increased.
6. Mildly high lymphocytes are present.

About the lipid profile abnormality, you have to do
1. Daily minimum 30 minutes walking.
2. Low fat diet.
3. You have to take atorvastatin and fenofibrate group of drug to lower this level. Consult with your treating doctor for dosing and frequency.

About the thyroid abnormality , you have to consult an endocrinologist for starting thyroxine hormone supplements as early as possible. A test of anti TPO antibody should be done , followed by an ultrasound scan of the thyroid gland to rule out any other possibility.

For the increased lymphocytes, you have to do a repeat test to search for presence of any abnormal cells in blood.

Regards.