Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Blood test showed elevated ALT level. Normal ultrasound. Worried about increased level

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Hi.i had my baby 4 months pregnancy went well with no problems.i recently had blood tests about a month ago and it showed slightly elevated alt everything else was fine.i had a repeat test aftr 2 weeks and its 68 now.previously was 65.i had neg hep b c, nrnal ultrasound and bloods.i am worried about alt.can u guide age is 25 yrs.i dnt drink physical exam is nOrmal as well.tell me what to do to low alt and when to repeat test.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 36 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
What was your complete liver function test report?
Do you have yellow discoloration of sclera & urine/ vomiting/ abdominal pain/ fever/ loss of appetite?
Why have you undergone ALT test if you were asymptomatic?
ALT (SGPT) is very specific for liver and its rise indicates liver involvement. You can cross check involvement of liver by gamma-GGT investigations (a part of LFT).
Non insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. Untreated NAFLD may lead to XXXXXXX and development of cirrhosis. So beware of this entity and you should discuss with your treating doctors for this. This condition can be diagnosed by ultrasound imaging and is best diagnosed by liver biopsy.
Other etiology may be hemochromatosis, alpha1 -anti trypsin defieciency, wilson's disease, autoimmune hepatitis, pancreatitis, gall bladder pathology, viral hepatitis such as EBV, CMV and HSV, Hepatitis A & E.
Are you taking any medication?
You should consult with physician/ gastro-physician and should go for liver biopsy for grading liver damage.
You should go for ALT/ AST test analysis on monthly basis.
If AST/ ALT and liver biopsy is found to be abnormal then you should go for following investigations: serum cerruloplasmin level, iron profile, serum iron level, serum amylase & lipase, autoimmune hepatitis panel, IgM Anti HAV, IgM Anti HEV, Antibody test for CMV and HSV.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor