Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Blood test showed GGT levels - 271. Ultrasound showed enlarged spleen and polyps on gall bladder. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I've recently had some blood work done, got the results back and there are some things that are of concern. All of which I will be checking with my family physician with when I'm back in the US in 2 months. So, I'm looking for a little piece of mind, or a urgency to make me go back home earlier.

Anyway, here are the areas of concern.
GGT levels - 271 (3rd time in a row they've nearly doubled, this one only 6 months after last check up)

ALT & AST (Both are high, only by a couple of points, nobody is expressing concern about these 2)

Carbon Dioxide (20 mmol/l)
Chloride (108 mmol/l)

The only one of any significant increase is the GGT.

6 months ago, I had an ultrasound done, results showed an enlarged spleen, and polyps on the gall bladder.

recently, had a bout of nausea, and vomiting (speculated do to food poisoning) Vomiting has gone away, nausea still lingering (just over 1 week)

Developed a rash on my legs, around ankles, starting top of foot, ending just below knee. Slightly warm to the touch, itches extremely bad. Through use of calamine lotion, and other anti itch, controlled the itch, rash still not going away. Bright red/pink, lots of noticeable bumps. (This is what caused the order of the last blood work)

Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.
Brief answer....An isolated elevated levels of GGT with normal other liver function tests in general indicates to be due to chronic alcohol consumption.
Detailed answer....
Elevated GGTP is found in many diseases of liver,biliary system and pancreas but an isolated elevated values or disproportionate elevation as compared to other liver enzymes may indicate alcohol abuse or alcoholic liver disease.
However GGTP can increased in other conditions like congestive heart failure or in people taking drugs like phenytoin,barbiturates,antibiotics,pain killers,antidepressants,anti fungal agents,histamine receptor blockers ( to treat excess stomach acid production ) etc.
If you are regularly consuming above mentioned drugs or excess alcohol ,stopping them would revert your values back.Get your GGTP tested again after 6 weeks.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Blood test showed GGT levels - 271. Ultrasound showed enlarged spleen and polyps on gall bladder. What to do? 5 hours later
Thank you for you answer, all research I had done before finding this website indicated that would be the standard response.

I was posting here to make sure that there wasn't going to be any sense of urgency on making it for further follow-up tests. I do have a Ultrasound scheduled when I return back to Ohio to check on my Spleen and Gall Bladder making sure it doesn't look as though those have gotten any worse. Recommendations to have an upper GI done, even with research online I'm not sure what that specific test is used for.

As far as the alcohol consumption, I drink maybe one or two time a year and when I say drink I mean maybe a beer or two. Being as I suffer migraines, I tend to stay away from anything that can potentially leave a headache. As it sits I haven't had any alcohol this year at all. I am a non-smoker, I quit that almost a year ago.

Again, being as no real sense of urgencies placed upon suggesting anything specific places my mind at ease to hold me over until November for my scheduled follow-ups anyway.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
It would be best to wait and watch and get your GGTP levels checked again after 6-8 weeks.
Till then avoid all the drugs which can be possible cause for GGTP elevation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor