Blood test report showed ALT level-61 and AST-34. Is this test significant to lower alcohol intake?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Recent blood test indicated a ALT level of 61 (7-56) and a AST of 34 (15-46). I drink alcohol daily of 2-3 oz. Is this test significant to lower my alcohol intake?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: only a minimal increase in ALT Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic The AST value is within the normal range and the ALT value is slightly above normal. The fact that the AST is still within normal range and the increase in ALT is only slight, would imply that there is only mild damage to the liver. Though you only drink a very small amount of alcohol, any reduction would have a positive effect. There are other causes of liver disease such as (1) non alcoholic fatty liver: this is caused by an accumulation of fat in the liver due to diet and lack of activity. The fat accumulation causes inflammation of the liver. The reduction in carbohydrate intake (because carbohydrates are turned into fat) is associated with improvement in fatty liver. (2)trauma (3)infections- this particularly refers to hepatitis viruses You can consider altering your diet wherever necessary to reduce the carb intake and also reducing the alcohol use slightly. Your doctor may repeat the values in a few months. I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I will follow your advice by reducing carbs, start walking daily, and reduce alcohol intake. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: no problem Detailed Answer: HI You're welcome, feel free to contact at any time with any additional questions