Blood test normal except WBC. Should I consult a specialist?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Blood Disorders
Question: My White blood cell count came back 3.7 I am a 66 year old woman. Two years ago it was 4.7 All my other blood work was normal. The family med. DR said to come back in 6 weeks for a recheck. I am worried and think I need to go to a specialist now. The company my husband works has united health care insurance. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your blood reports do not suggest any serious illness.

Your white blood cell count is only slightly lower than the lower limit of normal. The normal range is between 4 to 11.

The most common reason of low white cell count is a viral fever. So, in the absence of any symptoms and any other abnormalities, there is no need to worry.

I would agree with your family doctor's plan of rechecking the counts and evaluating you after six weeks.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 hours later
You feel this way even though it was 4.5 2 years ago. I do not think I have had a fever or been sick lately. Still feel the same? Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

Any white cell count of more than 4 (it was 4.5 in your case) is normal.

And now that you have no symptoms or illness, an isolated finding of slightly low white cell count is not a cause of concern. It can be re-checked at a later date.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thanks, It just seems going from 4.5 to 3.7 in 2 years like a lot , don"t you think or not? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

I do not think it is a major change, it is only a minor variation, so, please do not worry.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM