Blood test done for LDL cholesterol and SGPT. What does the report says?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My current blood test results indicate LDL cholesterol as 151 and SGPT 63. How alarming is the situation? I do work out regularly (thrice a week) so i am bit surprised by the result
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 28 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Welcome to Health Care Magic

NO NEED FOR ALARM.

Your SGPT is slightly high. Nothing to worry.
Alcohol is a common cause. Even paracetamol can raise it.
Mostly it is temporary and normalises shortly.
Repeat it after a week...

Cholesterol is manufactured in the liver and that is determined by inheritance.

You need Life Style Modifications –

Diet has a large contribution.
You should get the help of a dietician. Generally, a few sessions are necessary to master concepts of calories, saturated and unsaturated fats, Omega-3, transfats and so on.

Exercise helps – but can not completely normalise.
Increase your exercise to 5 or more times weekly.

The preferred level of LDL is 100 in otherwise normal person / 70 for those with heart disease.
Your level of 151 is high and it is less likely to normalise with diet and exercise alone.
You may need a drug also straight away.
Statins are usually the first choice.
Since your SGPT is borderline, it is better to start with a Fibrate.
You can add Ezetimibe subsequently / or even statin under observation.
See your Internist / Cardiologist – he will prescribe, guide, and follow up.

Wishing speedy normalisation
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Thanks doctor for your prompt reply. Generally how long does it take to normalize LDL levels? And how long does it take for LDL to reach such high levels? I was just wondering if it is a temporary phenomenon. Also do you think improper food habits is the major contributor than exercise for high LDL levels?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 41 minutes later
Hi

It takes about 6 to 12 weeks to change (either way).
That is why the test is not repeated before 6 to 8 weeks.

It is unlikely to be temporary.
It is produced by the body. Hence the life-style modification – it is life-long modification for long life.

Exercise has a definite but limited role in reducing LDL – at least half an hour a day / at least five days a week / aerobic exercises – will be necessary.
It is more helpful in raising the HDL (good) cholesterol.

All the best