Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Blood test done. Found mild degree of vitamin B12 deficiency, few crenated rbcs. Treatment required?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I am 30y/male, vegetarian since 15years. Without doctors consultation, I checked my Vitamin B12 which came - <159ng/ml ( Normal range-239-931 ng/ml, and folate 8.25ng/ml (Normal range-1.04-2.79ng/ml).My hemoglobin is 15.8g/dl, MCV-84.8, MCH29.6, MCHC-34.9.Peripheral blood smear showed
RBC-Anisocytosis,poikilocytosis, few crenated RBCs, and few target cells seen.Normochromic.
WBC & Platelets- Normal on blood film.

What treatment options do I have?Please give your valuable advice.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

You have a mild degree of anemia. There are some changes on your blood film which might be related to your low B12 level. These changes might completely resolved with some supplementation.

One option would be for you to receive injections of vitamin B 12 at your primary care doctor. They might consider doing this on a monthly basis. Another option would be for you just to take an oral vitamin B12 supplement. This would be a reasonable approach. You might consider taking an oral supplement daily for about three months and then have your vitamin levels checked again.

At this point I do not see anything that is very worrisome. This is certainly treatable with supplementation and I would generally recommend you O'Cain and oral supplement to take care of this.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor