Blood test and urine test done. What does the finding indicate?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: my sisters blood and urine reports are as follows:

*ESR
1 Hour :     70 mm
Method : WESTERGRENS sample type : 3.8% sodium citrate

*TOTAL WBC COUNT          :     0000 cells/cmm
Method : Electrical Impedance Method: k2 EDTA

*DIFF. WBC COUNT
Method : Laser flow cytometry: Sample type:k2 EDTA
Neutrophils : 81.5 % 40 - 65 %
Lymphocytes : 10.1 % 30 - 50 %
Eosinophils : 0.6 % 2 - 8 %
Monocytes : 7.6 % 2 - 4 %
Basophils : 0.2 % 0 - 1 %

*URINE MICROSCOPY
PUS CELLS               : 4 - 6/hpf
RBC                    : 1 - 2/hpf
EPITHELIAL CELLS          : 2 - 3/hpf
CAST                    : Nil
CRYSTALS               : Nil

A.S.O TITRE               : 35.1 IU/ml
Method : IMMUNO-TURBIDIMETRY

Kindly let me know how she is.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 13 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

I am discussing the reports one by one.

1.     Total WBC count is very high. It indicates presence of some infective condition.
2.     In differential count neutrophil is very high. In this age group, lymphocyte is found to be higher than in your sister. This feature indicates presence of bacterial infection.
3.     The urine report indicates presence of pus cells and RBCs but not upto the cut off value to declare it as typhoid infection.

From the above explanation, it is clear that your sister is suffering from bacterial infection.

You should consult with her treating doctor for starting an appropriate broad spectrum antibiotic like cefixime group of drug.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.