Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Blood sugar test, urine test, eye test, chest x-ray done. Are the findings in normal range?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
Hi, I have undergone my annual health check up last week and got the reports. The following tests are done:
blood sugar(fasting and after food)
urine test(fasting and after food)
chest and abdomen x-ray
eye test
I am just mentioning the numbers where it says it is out of range(as I do not have the soft copy). Thanks for your suggestions
Platelet count 78
Mean platelet volume 12.0
Triglycerides 221
glucose fasting plasma 106 (FYI, gluocose post prandial plasma 100, this is in normal range)
very low density lipoprotein 44.2
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 25 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Your lipid profile reports are almost within normal range, glucose fasting is also minimally deviated.
To get a correct report of lipid you should be 12 hours fasting that is you can take only water during this time but not even a tea cup. if you did have some thing before the preceding 12 hours please get it repeated.
It is also not recommended to get a lipid profile within 2 months of a heart attack, brain event, infections or surgeries if any because these affect the results.
The platelet counts are low and mean platelet volume is high, it is indicative of more production and more destruction of the platelets, it may indicate some recovery phase of any sub-clinical or overt infections, or it may be an Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura etc.
In both the cases you should get the lipid profile repeated, keep a 12 hours fasting ensured and also the Complete blood counts to assess the platelet anomaly.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor