Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Blood spotting in vagina after period, faint pink, maroon, used tampon. Serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I had my period and it mended on the 20th a few days later I began noticing spotting when I wiped but only then this lasted a couple more days off and on I know the blood was coming from my vagina because I inserted a q tip there. The blood wasn't red like period blood but a faint pink to maroon like. Well today I started dripping blood to where I had to put a tampon in like I'm in my period and it's only elevan days after I ended my period. I'm rally worried :(
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 21 hours later
Inserting a tampon can cause bleeding by ulcerating the vaginal wall but in that case it would have been fresh red in colour.
I think you are having irregular cycles or you can call it dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
I would suggest you to go for the investigations like haemoglobin and ultrasound.
Since you are young it can be due to ovarian cyst also.
I would like to know your marital status and obstetric history as well.

Do not worry
Take care
Waiting for your feed back
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Blood spotting in vagina after period, faint pink, maroon, used tampon. Serious? 3 hours later
Im single but have a bf who i live with and been with for two years. When i was 18 i had an abortion. I also went to urgent care today thought i had a uti but he said i was fine. Confused why would i develop this uterine bleeding? Can i fix it? Am i still able to have kids? What else can it be? Is it common?
Or safe to have sex? How long will it last ? I feel cramping slightly today
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes this problem is very common. Irregular bleeding is due to hormonal imbalance and can be cured easily.

You will be able to have children.

Treatment with hormones like Progesterone will help you. Also do take iron supplements and iron XXXXXXX diet, to improve your hemoglobin levels.

You can resume your sexual activity once the bleeding is completely stopped.

Consult your Gynecologist for physical examination and necessary investigations like ultrasound abdomen, blood counts, hormone assay, etc to come to a conclusion, so that necessary treatment can be initiated.

I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow up queries if you have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor