Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Blood results back. No hepatitis. Are the results bad?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 598 Questions
HI I'm a male 6' 195 38yr old just got blood test back (life ins exam ) and have ast 49u/l , alt 82u/l with ggt at 69 u/l , i do not have hepatitis and all my other numbers where within lab range(see attched). I was a 2-3 night wine drinker and have stopped that to only a few a wk. what should i do and how bad are these results?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. At present you do not have any clinical complaints nor do you have any history of significant medical disease in the past.

2. You should stop your consumption of alcoholic drinks now onwards.

3. Though you do not have hepatitis please do get your abdominal sonography done to rule out the possibility of alcoholic fatty liver.

4. You liver function tests show a mild increase in sgot,sgpt and GGT. These could be due to early alcoholic liver disease.

5. You need not worry about this at current stage since you do not have any clinical symptoms.

6. However reduction/ cessation of your drinking habits will help you prevent development of irreversible alcoholic liver disease.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor