Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Blood pressure reading is 117 over 93. Normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1550 Questions
Blood pressure reading is 117 over 93. Is that bad and should I seek medical care right away
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, its not bad

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Your blood pressure is in the range of pre-hypertension. It is just one reading. You need three readings to come to a conclusion. It means that it does not need medicines, it will need regular blood pressure monitoring and it will come in the range of high blood pressure if it is not taken care of. It also means that your blood vessels may be becoming stiff due to deposition of fat on their lining or even age may be a factor.

For now, you do not need medical care right away unless you have any other symptoms that need medical attention. But you do need some lifestyle changes. Thus I will advice you the following:

- Get your blood pressure measured atleast every 6 months or even earlier in case of symptoms like headache, chest pain, palpitations, etc.

- Take low calorie diet. High calorie food is mostly milk products like cheese, butter, ghee, cream, ice-cream, etc. Take small amount of food at a time.

- Take more fiber in diet like high fiber digestive biscuits, fruits and raw vegetables, etc.

- Exercise daily for at least 20 min a day. Exercise can include walk, yoga, gym, cycling, swimming, etc. Take a small snack before you go for exercise. Also do not over-exert beyond your limits.

- Try to lose some weight if overweight.

- Get blood tests done that may include lipid profile, liver function tests, kidney function tests, hemogram, blood glucose levels, etc. Also get urinalysis done. You will need a prescription for the same.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor