Blood pressure reading 123/85. Is this normal?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: When i check my b/p at home my first reading is always 150/100 and 2 min later it is 123/85 is this normal? And does it mean i have high bp ?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It doesn't mean you have hypertension.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Blood pressure is not a constant number. They vary at different period of time under the influence of physical and mental stress. Similarly they can be biased. Therefore we do not consider a single reading to judge a patient as hypertensive. I recommend that you repeat Blood Pressure readings specially after you wake up from a good night sleep on three different occasions of a week. If you find multiple readings with high numbers, visit your doctor's office to get it recorded manually. You need not be concerned now. The first reading may not be significant. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 4 minutes later
I have monitered it every morning and it is always 120/85 area when i get home from work it is always 140 to 150 range
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Effects of stress... Detailed Answer: Hi, As I said in my previous reply, blood pressure is under influence of physical activity, stress and psychological factors. The borderline high numbers that you see after work might the secondary to the work and travel stress. I suggest you to rest for awhile after you reach home from work and record blood pressure after an hour or two. You will need to visit your doctor's office if the numbers are consistently high or if a single reading shows huge numbers say 160 and above. Hope it helps. You are free to ask clarifications if any before closing this discussion. Best Wishes...