Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Blood pressure of 172 over 91. Is this high blood pressure ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Is 172 over 91 bad blood presser?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The short answer to your question is that yes this is a abnormal blood pressure which should make you concerned. At the same time we want to make sure that this was an accurate blood pressure. If it was taken on a blood pressure cuff at a doctors office to buy a trained professional this is something which I would trust and consider very carefully.

If on the other hand the blood pressure was taken at a pharmacy or by someone who is not trained in blood pressure checking then we need to basically get another reading.

Blood pressure management involves a comprehensive approach. More often than not simple lifestyle modifications can make a significant impact on blood pressure.

Also if you have a significant family history of elevated blood pressure or heart disease you should consider this very carefully. Another question you may have is whether or not this blood pressure is XXXXXXX Right now if this is a single reading I would not regard this as life-threatening or XXXXXXX However I really think you need to gather more information and get additional blood pressure readings. Overall the bottom line is that you need to discuss this with your response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor